Trini Life

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

IMMIGRATIONS FIASCO - THE TERMINAL ALL OVER AGAIN

Upon my return to Trinidad on Tuesday, I was refused entry into the country. I had worried that something like this might happen, since the government was slow as Christmas about getting the work permit taken care of. It seems that my work permit finally went through on Friday, while I was in the states, but the person in charge of seeing that my driver was given my work permit to bring to the airport to get me back in dropped the ball..and she is out of the country for Carnival..office is closed. Heck, everything is closed. I was denied entry into the country and treated like a criminal. I was forced into a holding area in the airport, and after being on the verge of a nervous breakdown and showing my ass a couple of times to the immigrations people, I told them I was going to go smoke whether they liked it or not. They smugly told me, nope, you aren't, you can't leave the airport...so what did I do? Yeah, I lit one up right there in the middle of the nonsmoking airport and when they said you can't do that, I said, "Huh? What was that? I don't understand. Oh, can't smoke in here? Is that what you said?" (all the while finishing the smoke). Okay you anti-smoking nazis, you can give me a break on this one. If your ass was stuck in a foreign country and told you were about to be put on a plane back to the states for really no reason at all (except the stupid work permit crap), you might have taken up smoking, trust me. I was taken away from the airport to some kind of "National Security" office where I was detained in an area that looked like a porch with locks and bars on it. I even took out my camera to commemorate the event.
































One of the guards even humored me when I asked him to take a pic of me during my imprisonment. HAHAHA At least I wasn't in a REAL Trini jail. I might have had to fight to defend myself if that were the case. I know, I look like hell. I had cried all my makeup off (no sad tears, pure unadulterated ANGER).... I had had a total of 2 hours of sleep in 2 days (one of those hours was on the plane). I was finally able to negotiate with the head of security that they let me go to my house with a guard staying here tonight to make sure I don't escape.

I will sleep tonight for sure, even with the guard spending the night in my house. Her name is Ali. I will see if she will let me take her picture. More tomorrow..whether it is from Trinidad or the US, I guess we shall see what happens come lunchtime tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were your best taking things cool.. Good Luck dear.

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home