Trini Life

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

True Stories: Bats, and I might be living in Piarco International Airport as of 02/28

BATS
One of my best students (a 54-year-old man) told us an interesting story today about his pet bat. When he started talking about it, I thought it was actually, like, a real pet. This thing sleeps hanging from the bottom of his dining room table. I asked him if it was messy, he said, "Nah, it is very clean...it just flies out of the house to use the bathroom." When I asked if he let it out, he said, "No, I don't have ceilings in my house, and the roof is open at the ends and he just flies in and out when he pleases, and sometimes his other bat friends come with him."

Okay. No ceiling. I can see that, I mean, after seeing some of the houses I have seen here. But bringing bat friends into the house? I am going to start calling him Batman, I think. Wonder if I can get him to take a picture for me. hmm. If he does, I promise to post it here. Trinidad is supposed to be home to the most varied species of bats and birds of anywhere on earth. I have seen some bats out at night around the golf course, and I have seen some pretty interesting birds, but not in my house.

IMMIGRATIONS FIASCO
Okay, what started out as a short surprise trip home may end up in my not getting back into Trinidad on Feb 28. I keep dreaming about being stuck in a situation like Tom Hanks was in "The Terminal." :)) Had to get up around 4:30 a.m. this morning to get ready to sit in traffic to get into downtown Port-of-Spain to meet with the immigrations people because my stamp ran out over a week ago, and I have been illegal since then. They haven't processed my work permit yet because it is a quite extensive process to get a work permit here if you are a foreigner. The company you are working for or consulting for has to go to incredible lengths to prove that a national couldn't do the job. What makes this even more incredible is that I am actually working for the Ministry of Trade and Industry technically, so one would think the process might be a little easier. NOT. They got approval from the Chief Immigrations Officer to extend my stamp until Feb 28, but they didn't know that I was flying home Carnival weekend and flying back in on Feb 28. So the immigrations officer tells me, okay, we are extending your stamp until Feb 28, but the officers at the airport might not let you back into the country. These are the same people processing my work permit...a fine example of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. They told me to keep a letter with me from the company I am consulting for, and if the immigrations person is in a good mood that day, they may let me come back. I was like, "What??" My return depends on someone's mood... A friend of mine told me to dress provocatively when I fly back and show some skin and maybe they would give me a break. I am thinking they would definitely put me BACK on the plane. ;) Maybe I will cruise through with no problems..no need to worry about it. Quincy (driver, bodyguard, tour guide, and the only friend I have here..lol) told me he would come to the airport anyway if they gave me a problem and announce himself as the company vice president of safety and transportation. haha May be my only option, since all the company big wheels are either playing mas in Carnival or leaving the country that weekend. I have to remain hopeful. haha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home